What type of insurance do I need?

You must have the proper insurance to ensure you’re fully covered while on the road. The type of insurance you choose largely depends on the vehicle you drive, but it also factors how you use it. To help you find the right coverage for you, this article will find out what type of insurance you’ll need.  

Do I need courier insurance?

Courier insurance is essential if you run a business transporting another party’s items. It’s a legal requirement, so if you work in removal, fast food delivery or as a courier, it’s essential to obtain courier insurance. It’s worth noting that this isn’t the case if you use a moped or motorbike which requires a different type of insurance.  

Do I need van insurance?

Van insurance is another type of vehicle insurance that is a legal requirement. In most cases, your standard car insurance won’t cover you for the operation of a van, so you’ll need a different policy. Depending on your usage, there are two main types of van insurance. Private van insurance is ideal for using a van for social, domestic or pleasure reasons like travel or day-to-day driving. Private van insurance is the right choice if your driving doesn’t include work-related activities.  

Alternatively, consider business van insurance if you use your van for business purposes. This covers you when operating the van for work-related tasks. Examples include travelling to jobs or transporting materials. This type of insurance is helpful because it also covers your work belongings, so if they’re stolen or damaged, you can claim to recover their costs.  

Do I need caravan insurance?

Caravan insurance isn’t a legal obligation, but if you have a caravan and use it, it’s well worth considering. Although your car insurance most likely covers you to tow a caravan, the coverage will be limited to third-party cover – which means damage to others is paid out, but your injuries might not be.  

It’s also worth looking at your policy, as although most insurers offer third-party coverage for things you tow, not all do. The coverage only applies when the caravan is hitched to your vehicle. If it’s stationary, consider caravan insurance.

Do I need motor trade insurance?

Motor trade insurance is essential for motor trade businesses. This includes sales or working as a mechanic. As you’ll be operating someone else’s vehicle, motor trade insurance covers the gaps in your insurance and the person who owns the car.  

The minimum level of coverage required for motor trade insurance is third-party only. This is an essential form of coverage if you’re repairing, servicing, valeting or transporting someone else’s vehicle. 

“The information contained within this page is for editorial purposes only and not intended as financial advice.”